Monday, May 16, 2011

Navajo Tacos

I was introduced to Navajo tacos by my in-laws. It's basically a taco on a scone. This taco meat recipe is great on the scone or as Mexican haystacks {a bed of Frito's instead of a scone and a little more emphasis on the lettuce}, or taco salad. This particular meat recipe is one I got from my mother-in-law, Christie, and adjusted to fit my taste.

1 lb ground beef
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 lg can diced tomatoes, with juice {I used a can of tomatoes with diced jalapenos that night}
2 tsp chili powder
1 can kidney or black beans
2 tsp garlic powder
dash of cumin

Brown ground beef with the onion in a large skillet pan. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.

For Navajo Tacos:
I made the dough recipe from the comments of this post in my bread machine and used that to make scones. You can buy scone mix or look a scone recipe up at any of the lovely links to the right of this blog. Fill a large skillet about 1/2" deep with canola oil {healthiest cooking oil} and slowly heat on medium to medium low heat. You can tell when oil is hot enough for frying by either dripping a little water in it and having it pop or putting the handle end of a wooden spoon in the oil and when little bubbles form around the wood, it's done. Roll a handful of scone dough into a ball than smash into a disc about 1/2" inch thick and about 4" in diameter. Carefully place into hot oil and cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

Serve hot with lettuce, cheese, olives, sour cream, or taco sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment