Sunday, May 29, 2011

German Pancakes




Most years, in the fall, my mom slaves all day in a hot kitchen to make the most amazing applesauce. She cans it, then stores it for when us kids come to visit and pilfer it. And I love her for it! Not because I like applesauce, because I really don't {it's a texture thing}, but because I LOVE this dish and it is not the same without her applesauce. Weird, right? Applesauce smothering a thick, hearty, buttery egg dish? But, oh my. Oh, my! It's been a while since I've been home when she's had any extra to steal, so we had to make do with store bought, second rate... :( If the applesauce weirds you out, it can also be served quite successfully with maple. Though, I think you should at least try it. I wonder what it'd taste like with apple-butter... BTW- don't you just love how the edges curl up the sides? Almost like it's trying to reach out and hug you!




5 tbsp butter


6 eggs


1 C milk


1 C flour


1/2 tsp salt




Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter in a 9x13" pan. Beat eggs just until evenly yellow. Beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. Do not over beat. Immediately pour over melted butter. Bake for 15-20 minutes on lowest rack of oven. Serve warm with maple syrup or heated applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment