Sunday, May 29, 2011

Homemade Maple Syrup

When several breakfast recipes are shared, there is the inevitable, frequent mention of maple. Most people call it 'syrup', but we grew up calling it 'maple'. I think part of that may be because my mom NEVER bought syrup. She bought maple flavoring and made her own syrup. It's actually really simple and some say it even tastes better than store bought. Cheaper, too. Anyway, with as often as I've mentioned "serve with maple" I figured it was high time to share what that was!

2 C sugar
2 C water
1 tsp maple flavoring.

Bring sugar and water to a boil. Cover and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in maple flavoring. Do not store in fridge!

Off the cuff, it might be interesting adding a little butter to the syrup for 'butter flavored maple', or trying it with brown sugar for extra sticky sweetness... However, I have not attempted either of these yet, so don't hold me to it...

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh because when Rob and I first got married I thought he was totally weird for calling syrup "maple." I have since converted him to calling it syrup. :)

    ReplyDelete