Friday, April 8, 2011

Swedish Meatballs

This is my contribution. I got this recipe from my mom. She gave each of her kids a cookbook of all her recipes and I pull from this more than any thing else. I meant to get a picture of one serving size, but forgot to grab it once the food was on my plate. I was too excited to try it all! You can do your own meatballs, or use frozen ones. I use meatballs from Costco. If you use frozen meatballs, add the allspice to the sauce. This is one of Matt's favorite recipes and I like it cause it tastes good and comes together in about 20 minutes.

Meatballs:
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 C bread crumbs
1 tbsp minced, dry onion
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp allspice
1/3 C evaporated milk

Sauce:
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 (12 oz) can evaporate milk
1 beef boullion cube
1 C hot water
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Making your meatballs: Mix together ground beef, crumbs, onion, salt, pepper, allspice and 1/3 C evaporated milk. Shape into meatballs using about one tsp of mixture for each. Melt butter in large skillet. Add Meatballs. Fry over medium heat, turning meatballs frequently to brown on all sides. (If using frozen meatballs, fry meatballs until thawed, add the butter and go from here!) Sprinkle flour over meatballs and stir to coat. Dissolve boullion cube in water, add to pan. Stir in remaining canned milk and Worcestershire sauce to make a smooth mixture. Return pan to low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce is thickened. Serve over hot, cooked noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment