Friday, April 22, 2011

Pasta Salad

After the eggs are boiled, dyed, hidden, and found, we are faced with what to do with all that protein! Here's a solution- put it in this! Pasta salads are great because you can start with the base recipe and add or subtract ingredients to your taste bud's delight! I also like this because I can make it in the morning and let it chill all day, so come dinner time I may not even have any dishes left to do! Great cool meal or side dish on those hot summer nights.

2 Cups cooked elbow or shell macaroni
1 carrot, peeled and grated {I used diced baby carrots}
1 C frozen green peas {my frozen green peas were frostbitten, so I used a vegetable blend that worked out nice}
1 C grated cheddar cheese
4 hard boiled eggs {plus at least 2 for garnish}
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 can tuna, shrimp, or chicken {cubed ham or bacon would also be good}
2 C miracle whip
1/2 C milk
2 tsp dry onions
1/4 C sweet pickle relish
salt and pepper to taste

In large bowl, lightly stir the first 7 ingredients. In small bowl, stir together miracle whip, milk, onions, and pickle relish. Pour sauce over ingredients in large bowl and toss to coat. Garnish with egg slices and paprika. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.

I really like onion, so I decrease the dry onion a teeny tiny bit and added one green onion to the mix. I think next time I'll do it with chicken and bacon. Maybe even Craisins or grapes...

No comments:

Post a Comment