Friday, July 22, 2011

Leslie Nebeker's Applesauce


Ok, so I think I've used this in enough recipes, like this and this, and I actually had some of this tasty applesauce to take a picture of, so YAY!!! I have so many memories of full days spent peeling and coring apples, eating peels until we had the runs, heating up the house canning the finished product and having this applesauce with anything worthy of applesauce! I've been quite spoiled and think all store bought applesauce is garbage! I just don't want to commit to the work of peeling and coring and canning necessary to make it for myself. Maybe if some one wanted to team up to tackle it this fall... hmm.... It's really not that bad if you don't can, so don't be intimidated. Though I did talk it up to be atrocious... Good luck!



40 apples (half golden delicious, half johnathan)

5 C sugar

1 1/2 C water

2 tbsp cinnamon



Peel, core and slice apples. Put all ingredients in a large pan(LARGE!), bring to a boil and simmer on a medium heat for 20-30 minutes, until apples are soft and mushy. Use a spoon to stir and break up apples into sauce. Ladle into prepared jars, cook in hot water bath for 25 minutes to seal jars.



For pink applesauce with a little extra bite, substitute 1/2 C red hot cinnamon candies for the cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment