Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Honey Lime Enchiladas





There is absolutely NO way this dish could be photographed in a manner that would capture the excellence of its flavor. Seriously. I think this is my new favorite. I have an uncle that has 6 daughters. No typo. 6. Shoot me now. What's even crazier is that they each one is sweeter, cuter, and more talented than the next. The kind of girls that you want to hate because you envy, but can't because it'd be like hating Mother Teresa. And that's just wrong. AAAAAnyway, the 6 girls made a blog to keep connected as they get married and move around. They feature all kinds of ridiculously awesome things, including *GASP* recipes! I've seen a couple ones that I'd like to try, but when I saw a recipe for Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas, I couldn't wait! I'll be honest, it wasn't as knock-your-socks-off as I'd hoped when I first tried it, but it had potential. A few days later, I tried it again, with a few minor tweaks and ran it past my judges panel {my hubby, my 3 year old, and my temporarily wifeless neighbor who, by the way, said it was heaven sent!}. It was as knock-your-socks-off as I'd hoped!! Yay! The chicken is so incredible in and of itself and would be excellent in quesadillas, fajitas, whatever! Ready to rock your taste buds???
Chicken filling:
1 lb chicken {I used 2 chicken breasts}
1/2 medium onion, diced
6 tbsp honey{3/8 C}
5 tbsp lime juice {approx 1 large lime, but I just got a bottle of lime juice}
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Place the chicken and onion in a crockpot. Mix together the other 4 ingredients in a small bowl; pour over chicken and onion. Cook on low 6-8 hours if chicken is frozen, 4-6 hours if thawed.
{The original recipe calls for the chicken to be cooked and shredded then placed in a bag with the whisked other ingredients for at least 1/2 hour, but I hate messing with raw chicken so to the crockpot with it! Plus, it hasn't worked out that I've been able to make the enchilada's the same day as I made the chicken, so it's easy to cook, shred, then let it sit in the sauce in the fridge until I am ready to use it. Handy!}
Enchilada's:
8-10 tortillas
1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
16 oz green enchilada sauce
1 C sour cream
Pour about 1/4-1/2 C of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13" pan. Fill the tortillas with chicken and all but 1 cup of the cheese. Place the tortillas in the pan as you go. Mix any remaining chicken marinade with the enchilada sauce and sour cream. Pour over the top of the enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until tortilla edges are brown and crispy.
I served this with black beans tossed with lime juice and sour cream. My neighbor especially liked it with extra sour cream on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment